Suggested Itineraries for Tours in Morocco
Marrakech Camel Treks
Marrakech Desert Tours with Camel Treks
Marrakech Desert Tours to include Erg Chebbi camel treks or camel trekking in the Erg Chigaga dunes are a popular choice. As it is a ten hours' drive from Marrakech to the dunes of the Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga, we recommend 4 days or 5 days for a Sahara trip to break the journey each way and include a camel trek to sleep under the stars in the Sahara.
Marrakech Desert Tours with camel trekking options include the dunes of either the Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga dunes. Our organized 4x4 desert trips include a sunset camel trek and a night in a nomad-tented camp in the Sahara where dinner is served under the stars. Tours to Zagora do not offer the same desert experience but are a great introduction to Morocco in 2 days, especially for family tours with children.
4x4 desert adventure tours begin as soon as you leave Marrakech. The route, that crosses the High Atlas road pass of Tizi-n-Tichka, includes Dades Gorge, Ait Benhaddou, Skoura Palmerie, Todra Gorge, Draa River Valley and at least one night in a nomad-tented camp in the dunes.
Authentic Morocco Tours and Excursions, in a Toyota Land Cruiser with private driver, run daily to match your dates and timescales. Tours run Marrakech to Marrakech or Marrakech to Fes and are suitable for couples, friends and family tours with children.
Quick Links for Marrakech Desert Tours with Camel Trekking
- Desert Dunes - Erg Chebbi vs Erg Chigaga vs Zagora
- Erg Chebbi Camel Treks and How to reach Merzouga
- Erg Chigaga Camel Treks and How to reach Mhamid
- Zagora Camel Treks and how to reach Zagora
- Organised Marrakech Desert Tours
- Organised Marrakech Desert Tours to Fes
- Hints and Tips
- Bonded Morocco Tours – Prices, Confirmation and Payment Options
Desert Dunes - Erg Chebbi vs. Erg Chigaga vs. Zagora
The dunes of Erg Chebbi at Merzouga are the tallest in Morocco and probably the most spectacular. There is a paved road that runs to the dune line where there is a choice of over 70 hotels with ensuite rooms and swimming pools.
The dunes of Erg Chigaga at Mhamid lie in a desert wilderness where the semi-nomadic Ait Atta Berbers live a traditional lifestyle. The road ends at Mhamid and the dunes can only be reached in a 4x4 or by camel. Accommodation is in desert camps that offer solar lighting, hot showers and flushing loos.
The dunes at Zagora do not offer a real Saharan experience but, if you have limited time, these dunes are a great introduction to Morocco with a camel trek and overnight in a nomad tent.
Client Trip Report: 'Morocco Camel Treks – 5 day Camel Trek in Erg Chigaga'
Erg Chebbi Camel Treks and How to reach Merzouga
Options for Camel Trekking in Erg Chebbi
- Sunset Erg Chebbi Camel Treks. If camping in the desert is not for you, take an evening camel ride and watch the sunset. Return to your hotel at the dune line.
- Overnight Erg Chebbi Camel Treks. One night camel treks with a sunset camel ride to sleep in the dunes at a desert camp where dinner is served under the stars.
- Erg Chebbi Camel Journeys travel at the leisurely pace of a camel and live the simplicity of desert life. Camel journeys from 2 days to any number of days.
How to reach Merzouga
The dunes of Erg Chebbi can be reached in a rental car as the paved road runs directly from Rissani to Merzouga at the base of the dunes. We can meet you in Rissani and accompany you to the dunes for the Erg Chebbi camel trek of your choice.
If you do not have your own transport, or prefer not to drive in Morocco, we run organized 4x4 desert trips from Marrakech. We recommend 4 days or 5 days due to the distance and drive times.
See 'Marrakech Desert Trips' for Erg Chebbi desert tours from Marrakech.
Erg Chigaga Camel Treks and How to reach Mhamid
Options for Camel Trekking in Erg Chigaga
- One Night Camel Treks from Mhamid. One night camel treks from Mhamid cannot reach the tall dunes but do camp in the desert under the stars.
- 2-3 day Camel Treks from Mhamid. In two to three days it is possible to camel trek to the tall Erg Chigaga dunes and return in a 4x4.
- 5-day Camel Treks from Mhamid. In five days it is possible to camel trek to the Erg Chigaga dunes and back again.
- Sunset camel treks in Erg Chigaga across the sandy dunes or, in two to three days, it is possible to camel trek from Erg Chigaga back to Mhamid.
How to reach Mhamid
The paved road ends at Mhamid and the tall Erg Chigaga dunes can only be reached in a 4x4 or by camel. If you do not have your own transport, or prefer not to drive in Morocco, we run organized desert tours from Marrakech. We recommend 4 days or 5 days for a Marrakech desert trip to Erg Chigaga.
See 'Marrakech Sahara Tours' for Erg Chigaga desert tours from Marrakech.
Zagora Camel Treks and How to reach Zagora
Camel Treks in Zagora
In comparison to Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga, Zagora does not offer a real desert experience but is a good choice for family tours with children or anyone with limited time. The dunes can be reached on a three day trip from Marrakech and you can break the journey one way at Ouarzazate, Ait Benhaddou or Berber village of Telouet.
On arrival in Zagora your guide will meet you and your camels will carry you along the Draa River Valley to your nomad tent at the small dunes where dinner is served under the stars.
How to reach Zagora
The dunes at Zagora are easily reached in a rental car. If you do not have your own transport, or prefer not to drive in Morocco, we can provide a private 4x4 and local driver who will pick you up from your accommodation in Marrakech for a 3 day tour with minimum travelling and time spent in a vehicle.
Organised Marrakech Desert Tours
We are often asked for 1 day Marrakech Camel Treks but the Sahara is a 10 hour drive from Marrakech and we recommend 4 days to break the journey each way and, if you want to spend two nights in the desert, we suggest a 5 days tour.
If you have limited time, or want to restrict the drive times, a three day trip to Zagora is a great introduction to Morocco with a camel trek to sleep under the stars – this does not however offer a real desert experience in comparison to Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga.
3 days tours to Zagora. This trip includes sunset and morning camel rides and an overnight stay at a desert camp or hotel at the dune line. Marrakech to Marrakech tours include Tizi-n-Tichka, Draa River Valley, Ait Benhaddou, Telouet and Kasbah el Glaoui.
4 days desert tours to Erg Chebbi at Merzouga. This trip includes sunset and morning camel rides plus one night at a desert camp or hotel at the dune line. This Marrakech desert tour includes Tizi-n-Tichka, Skoura, Kelaa Mgouna (rose valley), Todra Gorge, Ait Benhaddou and Telouet. 5 day desert tours include a second night in Erg Chebbi with a day to explore with your driver, a night in the Atlas mountains or a return route that includes Ncob and the Jbel Sarhro.
4 days, 5 days and 6 days Sahara trips to Erg Chigaga at Mhamid. This trip includes a sunset camel ride in Erg Chigaga and one or two nights in a desert camp in the dunes. Marrakech Sahara excursions include Tizi-n-Tichka, Draa River Valley, Zagora, Iriqui salt flats, Foum Zguid, Ait Benhaddou and Telouet.
Organised Marrakech Desert Tours to Fes
For 3 day, 4 day and 5 day tours from Marrakech to Fes see 'Marrakech to Fes Tours' for more information.
Hints and Tips
- baggy trousers are essential for riding a camel
- in summer, a light-weight fleece or similar is recommended for nights in the desert when the temperature drops
- in winter, layers and a warm jacket are recommended
- A sleeping bag in winter and a liner in summer is suggested for your comfort; blankets are provided and most clients find these adequate
- a torch is a useful addition to your suitcase
- leave your luggage with your driver and only carry essentials in a small bag
- alcohol (beer and wine) can be purchased en route and loaded on the camels
- dress respectfully e.g. long shorts OK as are short sleeved T-shirts
- For more suggestions see 'Country Information'
Bonded Morocco Tours – Prices, Confirmation and Payment
Please refer to: 'Private Morocco Tours - Pricing'
To read our clients’ feedback please refer to: 'Testimonials'