Suggested Itineraries for Tours in Morocco
Camel Treking Erg Chigaga
Camel Trekking in Erg Chigaga
Camel trekking from Mhamid across a desert wilderness, home to families of Ait Atta Berber nomads, to the dunes of the Erg Chigaga sand sea. Erg Chigaga camel treks range from a sunset trek, with a night in a desert camp, to 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days and 5 days or longer. All camel treks are with an experienced desert guide.
Walk out of the world as you know it on one of our Morocco camel treks to the dunes of the remote Erg Chigaga sand sea. Travel, as desert dwellers have traveled for untold generations, across the soft curves of sandy dunes and the flatness of the hammada (black desert) as dust devils whirl and mirages shimmer in the distance.
The paved road ends in the desert town of M’hamid and this is where your desert adventure begins. The Erg Chigaga dunes can be reached in a 4x4 or by camel - 3 days of camel trekking with an expert guide or a 5 days camel trek round trip. Trekking through this protected desert wilderness offers a unique opportunity to experience something of the lives of the Ait Atta Berber nomads who live here.
Camel trekking in Erg Chigaga is included on our organized 4x4 desert tours from Marrakech, Ouarzazate, Agadir, Casablanca and elsewhere on request. In addition, we can meet you on arrival if you have a rental car and organize your camel trek.
Quick Links for Erg Chigaga Desert Tours and Camel Treks
- M’hamid and the Erg Chigaga Dunes
- How to reach the Erg Chigaga sand dunes
- What to do and What to see in M’hamid
- M’hamid and Erg Chigaga Camel Treks
- Organised Camel Tours
- Bonded Morocco Tours – Prices, Confirmation and Payment Options
M’hamid and the Erg Chigaga Dunes
M’hamid is where the paved road ends and the charm of the Erg Chigaga is that the tall dunes lie within a wilderness where the only accommodation is in desert camps.
This region is home to the Ait Atta Berber nomads who live here. Aside from the sand dunes and camels, there are nomad families, wells and a school, twisted tamarisk trees, sodom apple trees, the hammada (black desert), Iriqui salt flats and Sacred Heart Oasis.
How to reach the Erg Chigaga sand dunes
The Erg Chigaga sand dunes can be reached in a 4x4 (off-road vehicle) from M’hamid or Foum Zguid. From M’hamid it is also possible to camel trek to the dunes in 3 days.
4 or 5 day Authentic Morocco 4x4 desert tours from Marrakech, and elsewhere on request, drive you out to the dunes for a sunset camel trek and one night or two under the stars at a desert camp. Alternatively, we can drive you to Mhamid from where you can camel trek to the Erg Chigaga over 3 days before continuing, on your organized tour, across the Iriqui Salt Flats to Foum Zguid and on to Marrakech via Ouarzazate and Ait Benhaddou.
M’hamid Tours - What to do and What to see in M’hamid
There is not a lot to do in M’hamid apart from relax to the pace of desert life:
- Relax in your hotel with a pool and laze around in a hammock
- Camel trek at the leisurely pace of a camel to the Erg Chigaga Dunes
- 4x4 out to the dunes for a sunset camel trek and to sleep overnight at a desert camp
- 4x4 day trip to lunch at the Sacred Heart Oasis and see the Erg Chigaga dunes
- Hire sand boards and go dune-boarding
M’hamid and Erg Chigaga Camel Trekking
Mhamid and Erg Chigaga camel treks include:
M’hamid Camel Treks
- Sunset camel trek to camp amongst dunes and knarled Tamarisk trees (1 night)
- Camel treks from M’hamid to the Erg Chigaga dunes and 4x4 return (2 to 3 days)
- Camel treks from M’hamid to the Erg Chigaga sand dunes and back (4 to 5 days)
- 4x4 to the Erg Chigaga for a sunset camel ride and overnight at a desert camp
Erg Chigaga Camel Treks
- Sunset camel treks and sleep overnight at a desert camp in the dunes
- A full day’s camel trekking with a desert guide, returning to the desert camp at sunset
Organised Camel Tours
Camel Trekking from Marrakech
Authentic Morocco organize camel trekking tours from Marrakech, which include the Erg Chigaga dunes, and we recommend at least 4 days to break the journey each way and include a sunset camel trek with one night in a desert camp. 5 day tours can include a second night at a desert camp and a free day to relax and explore with your driver. Note: it is more than a 10hrs drive each way from Marrakech to the Erg Chigaga dunes
Camel trekking tours to Erg Chigaga also run from Ouarzazate, Agadir and Casablanca. The Erg Chigaga desert region can be included on an extended tour from Fes, Fes to Marrakech or Marrakech to Fes although the Erg Chebbi dunes at Merzouga are a closer option for tours starting in Fes and Tangier.
To get ‘Off the Beaten Track’: 'Morocco Desert Tours Off the Beaten Track'
Bonded Morocco Tours – Prices, Confirmation and Payment
Please refer to: 'Private Morocco Tours - Pricing'
To read our clients’ feedback please refer to: 'Testimonials'